What is Online Copywriting, and how is it different from just copywriting? Good question!
Copywriting of course creates the textual content for offline, printed materials. A good copywriter is able to understand — and speak to — his or her audience, while still representing the subject (a product, brand or company) in an accurate and engaging manner.
The same is true for Online Copywriting (also called “Digital Copywriting”), with two important additional points:
- Online Writing Style: Digital copywriters write for their medium. Online copy needs to be shorter and clearer than its printed counterpart. A good digital writer typically uses short sentences, small paragraphs and frequent text headings.There are several reasons that necessitate this change in style (which drives some of our clients crazy): The first is simply the online attention span. Study after study shows that consumers don’t actually read online — they just skim, and quickly move on. In the digital realm, most of us use multiple browser windows and applications at once, and may also have the TV or music on in the background or even — gasp — other humans we’re speaking to too.
Unless one is conducting serious research on a specific topic, they’re not reading as the term was traditionally though of. And you can double all of this for marketing messages: to cut through the clutter online, your digital copy must be short, sweet, and of course, interesting.
- Writing for Search Optimization: A professional online copywriter always understands that they’re writing for robots in addition to us humans. Although SEO is no longer the force it once was, this doesn’t mean that the copy on your website shouldn’t be optimized for Google and other search engines. To the contrary — with so many traditional SEO tactics rendered useless by Google’s aggressive anti-SEO stance, getting your website and social media copy correctly optimized is more critical than ever.This is why at Concept 5 we always begin any new client engagement with detailed keyword research — learning what folks are searching for when they come to your site. This data is then provided to our digital copywriters so they can incorporate it into their work. Taken a step further, it’s not only using the correct search phrases in a client’s copy that matters, but how it’s they’re used as well. A professional digital copywriter strikes a good balance of using target keywords in titles, headers, meta tags within the copy and in links. If you overdo it, Google will sense you as spamming, and won’t list you in search results. If you under-do it, Google (and by extension, your potential leads) won’t know you exist or that you’re relevant for x.
Every company is different, and the only way to know for sure is to set goals and continuously measure against them. Something we’re very fond of.
Concept 5 has highly experienced digital copywriters who understand all of this. Our copywriters have written for some of the largest brands in the world — they understand how to write copy that’s engaging and effective.
ADVANTAGE: Concept 5 Online Copywriting
- Flexible Pricing – Can be structured in retainer, per-word or a project basis
- Search optimization always included
- Recurring copy services for blog marketing, social media or email
- Clients can be heavily involved in editorial calendar and copy-checking, or leave it all to us
- Select your level of copywriter based on budget and needs
- Includes keyword ranking reports to track optimization progress